- Student Transportation of America
- $57,670.00 -124,480.00/year*
19 East Dr
Fleet Mechanic Technician
In Gales Ferry, CT
Overview With general direction from the Fleet Maintenance Supervisor, provides a wide range of technical services on company buses, vans, and automobiles. This is a journeyman position that requires significant technical training and/or experience. Also works under the direction of the Terminal Manager. Responsibilities
* Performs thorough and accurate Preventative Maintenance inspections.
* Following schedules, completing all required PM maintenance operations including lubrication, fluid changes, brake adjustments, and tire rotations.
* With direction from the Fleet Maintenance Supervisor, performs unscheduled maintenance as needed.
* Performs complex operations including engine, electrical, fuel, brake repairs, exhaust repairs, and field tests. This requires interpreting and working from drawings, specifications and other technical materials.
* Must be able to utilize a ladder and other elevation equipment, to access the roof of buses and elevated light fixtures for repairs and maintenance.
* Must operate CDL and Non CDL vehicles (buses and vans) to performs road tests, as well as shuttle in and out of the garage for repairs and maintenance.
* May, on occasion, be needed to drive.
* Must be willing to travel from two locations (Ledyard/Griswold CT).
* Must be able to lift heavy equipment (up to 100lbs) including brake drums, tires, ladders, tool chests, floor jacks, etc.
* Must be able to operate bench grinder, torch drill press, jack and jack stands, sawzall, oil pumps, power washer, parts cleaner and other hand tools required to perform work.
* Performs emergency roadside services as needed. This requires operation of either replacement vehicles or utility truck.
* Emergency conditions may require calls at home, extended hours or weekend work.
* Document repairs and parts on work orders completely and accurately.
* Maintain tools and work places so conditions are neat and orderly.
* Must be thoroughly familiar with all safety provisions associated with vehicle maintenance.
* Understand OSHA standards and provisions.
* Understand and conform to State EPA regulations regarding disposal of toxic waste substances.
* Performs other duties as required.
* High School Diploma or equivalent, supplemented by specialized vehicle and equipment repair courses.
* At least two (2) years experience as a mechanic in an automotive, school bus, trucking or heavy equipment environment and/or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Possession of a valid CDL B P&S is preferred or must be able to obtain a CDL B P&S within 90 days.
* Ability to lift over 50 lbs.
* Provide own hand tools, required for regular maintenance.
* Knowledge of tools, procedures, technical skills and safety rules used in the maintenance and repair of gasoline, diesel, and alternative powered equipment.
* Written and verbal communication skills and customer service skills are essential.
* Ability to deal with problems and find solutions.
* Have knowledge of Federal and State regulations.
* Operational knowledge of motorized gasoline, diesel and alternative fueled vehicles, and shop equipment and tools.
* Scheduling and setting priorities for work to be accomplished.
* Inspection of equipment and diagnose mechanical defects.
* ASE Certification(s) a plus.* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...